We all like to be efficient and perfect at work, and we would like it to be done in the shortest period. However, how many of us practice it? We unknowingly increase out time and work span.
There are some tricks however we can adopt to save some hours by doing fast and at the same time a good job. The idea is to work smart. There are very small tips and tricks which we need to adopt to improve our productivity and cut down our hours at work.
These are some practices which help you save time.-
1. Using keyboard shortcuts - It may seem that shortcuts save only a fraction of a second, but once you have grasped the art of using the keyboard, it can save a week’s work. Everyone knows the standard keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl C, Ctrl V, and the most common Alt+ Tab, but there are other shortcuts also which are just as helpful. Pressing the Windows key and L will help you unlock your computer. F3 is for searching the file or the folder, Ctrl+ Arrow+ Spacebar where you can select multiple items in a window or your desktop. In the beginning, it may seem a little tedious, but along with the time, you will be able to master this technique of keyboard shortcuts.
2. Clean up the computer files - All your computer files should be organized in a neat way and the relevant folders. Remember to delete those which you do not need. This will help you stay organized in your work, and you will not waste time searching for the file which you need. Just like you would want to organize and enhance your office environ with file organizers, desk plants, trays, and racks, it is important to keep your computer files organized and the computer desktop neat.
3. Quickly navigate between windows - Acquiring the art of navigating between tabs on your computer will dramatically increase your productivity. Sometimes it will so happen that your mouse may stop working altogether which is a common problem experienced by all at least once, so at such times using keys on the computer will help you switch between windows quickly. The most common are the Alt-Tab to flip between open windows. Using Alt-Esc also helps you switching to the next open window and then the next and so on.
4. Use a Password Manager - Instead of typing passwords every time to login always use a password manager. Why? Because password managers auto completes these details for you and using it is much more secure than trying to recollect all those passwords.
5. Updating your editing tools - Cut down on your editorial process by using spelling check and editing tools. You will be able to type error-free English and cut down on your work time. The most common used is the Grammar Checker where it corrects punctuation marks, apostrophe etc.SpellChecker.net is online spelling tools which will help you to write error-free English and avoid complex vocabulary errors.
6. Write a to-do list-Having a to-do list will help you manage your work more methodically and save time. Make sure you have created a list of all tasks so that you can prioritize accordingly and know which work should be taken up first. This way you will be able to manage things more efficiently, and it will also save your time.
7. Using file type based web search - You have to start on a new project and want some references on the web so that you can get a cue about where to start from. Now going from one web page to another will not only increase your time but also it can be frustrating to keep on searching without getting the relevant information. At such a time you can use a file type based web search on the search engine. For e.g.-type in your search box the relevant topic, query or the keywords and then put in filetype.pdf. This kind of search will look for pdf files on the entire web, for words that match your query and then after finding the relevant information you can download the same.
8. Scroll faster using the space bar - Scrolling through a long web page using the mouse key or the down arrow key can certainly take much time. Instead, you can use the space bar to jump from one screen to another.Pressing shift and the space bar will help you scroll up the full screen with each press. By holding down the spacebar, you will reach the bottom of the page as fast as you can be.
9. Organize your bookmarks - Do you use the same websites every day? So sort out the bookmarks to save time. For e.g. - daily, research and personal. This way you will be able to get to your websites quickly. Instead of typing out the same web address over and over again you can bookmark the pages that are more often used by you. This way you can get to your page swiftly.
10. Don’t let emails take over your entire day-Allot a certain time reading your emails. Having your email open the entire day can decrease your productivity. Schedule a specific amount of time for reading and replying to emails. This way you can reduce the distractions and focus on work.
11. Drop the myth of multi-tasking - Multi-tasking is good. But not if you are getting confused and irritated and in the process delaying all your important work. Our brain is not wired to do two tasks at one time. Instead, you end up wasting more time. Your brain will lose its efficiency each time you keep on switching between tasks, making you exhausted. Focus on one thing at a time, complete it and then move on to the next. This will help you increase your productivity in the long run.
So you see there are so many hidden shortcuts on the computer which can save up your time and the repetitive chore of finding information. In the beginning, it may look like they save your time only for seconds but add those up over a day, week or a month and you will notice a significant difference.